Thursday, December 20, 2007

Monster, Pita, and Squid

These are images of my work as displayed in my class's thesis show that was in June.
This is the main body of my work--four major paintings with measurements ranging from 3 to 4 feet. Hand stretched canvas, the background is textured gesso with the figures: Pita Pocket, Attic Monster, Ian the Squid, and the lettering in oil paints. Highlights and shading are done wet on wet. Actually most of it is wet on wet... The text reads, from left to right: I floss with your hopes and dreams, Antipsychotics cannot stop me; I love you, Love between a squid and pita cannot be; Without you I'd be almost normal; I am inescapable-you are delicious.
These are the sculptures, Pita Pocket, Attic Monster, and Ian the Squid. These are ceramic with oil paints to mimic the paintings, and it's the same basic technique. The actual sculptures are smooth, it is the paint job that is so gloppy.
These are close-ups of the 8x8" close up images between the larger images and gives hints of the texture on the paintings and technique. First is Attic Monster's teeth and then are the tentacles of Ian the Squid.
Here is a close-up of the teeth on one of the paintings.
This is showing scale.

This is a view of the room my work was in--I had half and the other half was another student.The people crouching are looking at my sculptures.

No comments: